River of Time

by CK Lynn

Ever flowing.
Always forward.
Never looking back.

Gone in an instant,
water slipping through your fingers.
from the present to a memory.
Endless days, hours, minutes.

Pictures swirl,
A whirlpool, muddied an indistinct.
and then are gone.

Eternal.
Forever.
Time.

Emerson wrote a review...

You know, a river of time as a metaphor has only worked for me in Sidhartha.

This poem was dry. I felt nothing. It just listed stuff about "the river of time" which is a clichéd topic as it is.

If you want to write good poetry, write something that speaks to the reader, makes them feel, makes them consider life, or the topic, in a different way. But, you're young, so here are some tips: read poetry. Read a lot of poetry. Read the critiques and learn what makes a good poem, and what doesn't. Practice a lot, and for the love of everyone holy, don't just quit. If you really like writing, you'll keep going. Read articles on poetry, those are very nice.

Read something by Fand, Incandescence, or Caligulas_launderette, all very good poets on this site.

Best of luck.

Rydia says...

It's not very original but if you look beyond that, you have a good idea and a nice collection of words.

CK Lynn says...

Thanks for the suggestions!

Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:56 am
Cameeno wrote a review...

I liked the short scentences in this poem, as it showed the overall theme of time passing by quickly. But the poem didn't grab my attention. "Eternal, Forever, Time" are overused words, you should try to create some more specific and unique images.

Like they said, it's okay, but it doesn't strike me in any way. There's nothing that'll make me remember this after I close this window. It's just kind of...there. The wording's pretty, but it's not saying anything. You need some substance. Some imagery that'll make me think "Wow. That's interesting. I might remember this tomorrow."

Keep writing! :mrgreen:

Meep says...

I like the idea of it, but somehow, it doesn't quite get there. It's the same ol', same ol' imagery of time. I think more concrete examples would strengthen this: actually show time passing, you know?

miyaviloves wrote a review...

OK, i answered your poll to 'needs work' I like this poem, but I dunno...i think that you could make it much better by adding more imagery maybe?

Gone in an instant,
from the present to a memory.
Endless days, hours, minutes.
- A great peice there!

Meevs
x

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
— Dr. Seuss